Kingsgate, Rolvenden

Entrance lodge to Kingsgate house, ancestral home of the Weller family built in the 1740’s. Lodge constructed of red brick quoined pilasters. Plain tiled hipped roof with club tile patterning. Half gabled end with vertical tile hanging to upper storey. Two and three light casement windows with glazing bars. Door canopy supported on brackets. West elevation with projecting turret style oriel window and separate bulls eye window. Central axial chimney stack with cruciform group of flues. Concave screen wall with brick piers topped with ball finial. Decorative iron gates with scroll pattern.

Kingsgate, Rolvenden

Tongswood Estate, Hawkhurst

Tudor house associated with Flemish clothiers and the Dunk family. Notable owners in it’s history include the Hon Felix Tollermarche in 1839 and Major George Robert Stevenson in 1848. Purchased and remodelled in 1874 by William Cotterill (1828-1898) a successful tea broker and the son of a Birmingham millionaire. House later owned and extended by Charles Eugene Gunther, who made his fortune as chairman of the parent company of Oxo. Tongswood was sold in 1945 to W.B. Harris for the purpose of housing St Ronan’s school from its wartime home of Bicton Park, Devon.

Grade II listed entrance lodge built of red brick with stone ashlar details. Plain tiled roof with stone coping to gables and parapets. Central cluster chimney stack diagonally set. Built early twentieth century in the Baroque-revival style. Northwest elevation with central Doric columned arcade in antis and pedimented gabled dormer with panel bearing coat of arms above window. South west gable finished with ogee parapet surmounted by pediment. Bracketed pentice roof above stone mullioned windows.

Concave brick screen wall with cast iron railings. Stone panelled gate piers with modillion cornice and ball finial.

Tongswood Estate

Oldlands Hall, Uckfield

Country house with formal gardens designed by Sir Matthew Digby Wyatt for the antiquary Alexander Nesbitt. Built circa 1869, of stone ashlar in a simple Victorian Gothic style with a symmetrical facade. Purchased in 1920 by Frederick Eckstein, a partner in the firm of Wernher, Beit & Co and chairman of the Sudan Plantations Syndicate. After his death the estate passed to his son Sir Bernhard, who also had business interests in the Sudan. After Sir Bernhards death in 1948 the estate was broken up and sold. The house and stables now remain as freehold apartments.

Victorian entrance lodge south east of main house. Lodge constructed of stone ashlar with vertical tile hanging to upper storey. Clay tile roof with crested ridge tiles. Gable end with decorative finial and timber casement window. Iron entrance gates with scroll tops set between decorative iron piers emblazoned with coat of arms and lantern above.

Oldlands Hall

Oldlands Hall

Eridge Park

Ancestral home of the Earls and Marquesses of Abergavenny on the Kent and Sussex border. Neo-Georgian style mansion house designed by the architect John L. Denman. Built circa 1938 when Eridge castle was demolished. Extensive formal gardens and park land with protected ancient woodland.

Grade II listed entrance lodge built circa 1825 and probably designed by the architect John Montier of Tunbridge Wells. Known locally as Windmill Lodge. Lodge constructed of stone with half timbered upper floor. Pitched roof covered with plain tiles with decorative pierced bargeboards to gable ends. North elevation with crenellated entrance porch. West elevation with canted bay window. Central ashlar chimney stack with crenellated top. Flat top field gate flanked by pair of diagonally set rusticated stone pier, with coronet cap surmounted by bulls head.

Windmill Lodge, Eridge Park

Windmill Lodge, Eridge Park

Salomons (Broomhill) Southborough

Victorian country house north of Tunbridge Wells. Built circa 1830 by the architect and builder Decimus Burton for Sir David Salomon, the first Jewish Lord Mayor of London. Irregular and complex house in the Italianate style built of stone ashlar with a stone parapet and balustrade.

Three storey east lodge built circa 1895 in the Victorian Gothic style. Constructed of stone ashlar with half timbered jettied upper floors and projecting loggia. Canted bay window supported on large scrolled brackets to east elevation. Gable ends with roughcast infilled panels and cartouche foliage panel at apex. Two light casement windows. Plain tile roof with overhanging eaves and decorative lion finials. Central stone chimney stack with family crest.

East Lodge

Two storey North Lodge with irregular shaped stone ashlar walls with half timbered jettied first floor with white washed rendered panels. Plain tiled roof with club tile patterning and ball finial to gable end. Decorative pierced barge boards with hanging finial. Gabled dormers partly below eaves. Central brick chimney stack.

North Lodge

Calverley Parkland, Tunbridge Wells

Group of entrance lodge buildings to Calverley Park, Tunbridge Wells. A mid 19th century landscape of villas in parkland, laid out by the architect and builder Decimus Burton, part of which was developed as a public park in the 1920s.

Pair of entrance lodges from Crescent Road with central Roman carriage arch, named Victoria Lodge. Built circa early 19th century of stone ashlar in the neo-classical style. West or principle elevation flanked with engaged fluted Doric columns supporting a heavy entablature. Vitruvian style vertical sliding sash window with moulded stone surround with projecting ears at top corners. Grade II listed.

Victoria Lodge

Octagonal shaped single storey building with rectangular side projection at junction of Crescent Road and Calverly Road. Named Keston Lodge and built circa 1828-31 of stone ashlar. Slate roof with oversailing eaves supported on modillions. Romanesque style vertical sliding sash windows with Oeil-de-boeuf above.

Keston Lodge

Single storey building at south entrance from Grove Hill Road, named Farnborough Lodge. Built circa early 19th century of stone ashlar with plain tile covered roof. Gable end with attic window and decorative pierced barge board. Half hipped gable without window facing south. Pair of axial chimney stacks. Projecting porch with pointed arch and stone coping. Two light casement windows with creased tiled sill.

Farnborough Lodge

Oakley School, Pembury

Victorian entrance lodge to Oakley school, Pembury Road, Tunbridge Wells. Origins of house / estate unknown. Lodge constructed of red brick with vertical tile hanging to upper storey. Plain tile roof with crested ridge tiles. Gable elevation canted bay window and jettied first floor supported by ornate brackets. Lean to porch with octagonal pilasters and 4 centred arched doorway and windows.

Oakley Lodge

Grovehurst Estate, Pembury, Royal Tunbridge Wells

Georgian mansion built circa 1840 in the style of Decimus Burton but demolished in the 1950’s. Miraculously the coach house with its wall mansion kitchen garden, the courtyard and its grounds still survive despite numerous attempts to redevelop the site for new housing and the construction of the bypass.

Two lodges also survive, one at the end of Cornford Lane and the other along the A264 Pembury Road, near to the entrance of Oakley School. Similar in appearance, built of brick with stone hood mouldings and quoins. Plain tile pitched roof with decorative barge board and hanging finial. Pairs of brick chimney stacks set diagonally.

Pembury Road

Cornford Lane

Angley Park, Cranbrook

Country house with ornamental gardens and woodland purchased by Rear Admiral the Hon. James William King in 1823. King enlarged the Regency style villa and made improvements to the grounds before selling Angley Park to the tobacco importer Mr Sackett Tomlin in 1869. Tomlin subsequently demolished the mansion and built a new one. His son Edward Locke Tomlin then extended this Victorian mansion with a stable block and gardens in the ‘romantic style of the Victorian garden’ and installed new lodge gates. After his death in 1929 the estate was broken up for sale and the Victorian mansion demolished by Edwin Brock.

Whitewell Lodge north east of the mansion on the A262 Goudhurst Road. Constructed of red brick in a neo-Georgian style to the designs of the Arts & Crafts architect Mervyn Macartney (1853-1932). Two storeys high with wooden framed casement windows. Pitched slate roof with lead sheet ridge and hip rolls. Pair of pilastered chimney stacks. Symmetrical elevation with central rounded arch gateway with large wrought iron gates.

Angley Park, Cranbrook

Heronden Hall gatehouse, Tenterden

Gatehouse in the Perpendicular Gothic style built circa 1846 and probably designed by the architect W J Donthorne. Constructed of coursed stone with ashlar quoins and stone mullioned windows. Central two storey arched gateway with room above, flanked by single storey lodges. Pitched roofs covered with slates in fishscale pattern. Stone coped gable ends with octagonal finials at corners. Two storey turret with lancet windows to east elevation. Date stone above first floor windows refers to re-building work completed in 2010. Building grade II listed but in private ownership.

Jacobean style country house built circa 1846. Principal elevation of symmetrical design with 3 bays and central arched porch with balustrade. Stone mullioned windows with pointed arch and carved spandrel panels. Protuding wings with double height oriel windows to gable ends. Pitched roof covered with slates with fishscale pattern. Clusters of octagonal chimney stacks. Octagonal bell turret.

Heronden Hall, Tenterden