Stately home north west of Ashford, built around a medieval hall. House remodeled circa 1900-1920 by the owner Ashley Dodd, who appointed Sir Reginald Blomfield to update the house and redesign the gardens. Constructed of ancient brick in the Jacobean style with distinctive Dutch gables. Two storeys high with attic rooms. Charming Italianate garden with statues, loggia, Persian rill, marble colonnade and Italian cypress trees.
Entrance lodges also built of brick with Dutch gable ends. Plain tiled roof with clustered chimney stack. Stone mullioned windows with hood mouldings. North lodge has a slightly simpler form with a projecting porch at the side. East lodge slightly grander and more ornate with stone kneelers, decorative roof tile pattern and diagonally set porch.
North Lodge, Godinton
East Lodge, Godinton
Large stately house in the neo palladian classical style. 12th century manor house extensively enlarged around 1630 by Sir William Pitt. Estate sold to the nation in 1817 and given to Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington following the Battle of Waterloo.
Principal elevation of symmetrical design with 7 bays and central pediment surmounted by Cupula turret. Built from rendered brick with a slate mansard roof and dormers. Elevations with rusticated quoins at corners and around openings. 3×4 vertical sliding sash windows. Tuscan style entrance porch. Projecting wings with Dutch style gable.
Pair of symmetrical lodges either side of entrance gates. Low pitch hipped slate roof with moulded cornice and central chimney stack. Also built of rendered brick with a slightly projecting pedimented gable with blind arch and small sash window. Return elevation with entrance door and sash windows to first floor. Carriageway gate posts with ball finials.
Monument Lodges, Stratfield Saye
Whaddon Hall was built circa 1820 to replace the old manor house first mentioned in the 13th century. Once home to the Selby-Lowndes family, whose ancestor Williams Lowndes built the larger and grander Winslow Hall. Neo classical style house with 7 bays. Central giant portico with entablature on engaged Ionic columns and Doric pilasters. Colourwashed rendered facade with vertical sliding sash windows.
Pair of Grade II listed entrance lodges built circa 1820 in the Perpendicular Gothic style. Constructed of red brick with battlemented parapet. Pointed arch window with Y tracery and hood moulding. Panelled entrance door with four centred arch.
Lodges to Whaddon Hall
Country house with landscape park and woodland, built circa 1675 for Edmund Waller (poet and politician). House built of brick in a Dutch influenced neoclassical style of architecture with stone dressings. Three storeys high with a hipped slate roof and cupola. Facade with five bays of vertical sliding sash windows adorned with pairs of Ionic and Corinthian pilasters. Centre bay emphasized by curved and pointed pediments and engaged columns. Porte-cochere designed by George Devey (1820-1886) added circa 1865. Roof dormers with segmental and triangular pediments. The house remains in private ownership.
19th century entrance lodge, north of the main house, located along Windsor End adjacent to the M40 motorway. Building externally finished with decorative carved timber panels in the Renaissance style with relief panels showing garlands of fruit and Acanthus leaves, scrolls, and medallions. Over sailing pitched roof with decorative pierced carved barge boards and turned finial. Upper storey jettied over twisted wooden columns. Two and three light timber casement windows. Broad double chimney stack engaged with side elevation. Diagonally set chimney stack to main roof. Entrance porch gable with decorative panel surmounted by plaque or heraldic shield.
Oak Lodge undergoing restoration works
Neo-classical style manor House thought to be designed by Samuel Wyatt (1737-1807) or by his brother James Wyatt (1746-1813), built circa 1780 for Lord Hothfield. Simple elegant building with seven bays divided by pilasters and central pedimented doorway. Later extended at both ends to include a porch and carriage entrance. Park and mansion requisitioned in 1939 by the British Army. Estate purchased by Sir Reginald Rootes in 1947 and the old mansion demolished in 1954.
Small entrance lodge in the Victorian Gothic style assumed to belong to the former manor house. Constructed of London brick with overhanging hipped roof. Central recessed entrance door with eyebrow fanlight window above. Pointed arched casement windows with glazing bars. (Building not listed).
Large country house, designed by Joseph Bonomi (1739-1808) in the neo-Elizabethan style, built between 1793-1799 for George Finch Hatton, 9th Earl of Winchilsea. Later occupied by Prince Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh, the second son of Queen Victoria. House severely damaged by fire and rebuilt on the same site in 1926.
Tower Lodge and gateway built circa 1848, possibly designed by the Scottish architect William Burn (1789-1870) in the Gothic revival style. External walls of knapped flint with dressed stone quoins. Four octagonal corner turrets with single light windows and ogee cupola, terminated with a decorative finial. Central two storey arched gateway with decorative wrought iron gates and overthrow. Heraldic achievement with pilasters and pierced balustrade.
Two storey entrance lodge north east of Tower Lodge, also mid 19th century. White rendered external walls with arched ‘Dering’ windows complete with hood mouldings. Pitched roof covered with slate tiles in Fishtail pattern. Stone coped gable ends with octagonal finials surmounted by cupola at corners. Central projecting gable with Crown and motto above single light with hood mould.
Eastwell Park Tower
Entrance lodges to MacIntyre Independent School, Wingrave near Aylesbury. Formerly known as Wingrave Manor House. Built circa 1876, for Hannah de Rothschild. Victorian half timbered pastiche of nearby Ascott House. Leased to the Stewart Freeman Family who enlarged it in 1885 and eventually purchased it in 1898. House name changed to Mount Tabor when the nuns of the Order of St Mary of the Cross took it over after WWII.
Lodges constructed of red brick with half timbered upper floor. Plain tiled roof with club tile patterning and brick chimneys. Hipped dormer window and gabled bay. Jettied first floor with white washed rendered panels. 3 light casement windows with glazing bars. Lean to porch with heavy turned wooden balusters. Gate piers with low wall and iron railings. Tall arcade with flower motif and cast iron posts with ball finials.
Nos 22 & 24
Nos 26 & 28
Jacobean Manor house in the Northamptonshire countryside near Oundle. Built circa 1657, extended and remodelled circa 1858. Former family home of the Delacy family and later owned by George Ward Hunt who became Chancellor of the Exchequer in the first Disraeli government and First Lord of the Admiralty in 1874. House built of coursed limestone with ashlar dressings and stone mullioned windows. Hipped slate roof behind open parapet with stone ball finials. Ashlar chimney stacks.
Rusticated stone built entrance lodge along Pilton Road in the Gothic revival style. With decorative wooden verge boards with fringe decoration and eaves brackets.
South lodge constructed of dressed stone with polygonal gable end and slate roof. Timber casement windows with pointed arched heads and glazing bars. Roundal window in apex of other gable. Central ashlar chimney stack.
South Lodge, Wadenhoe
Georgian manor house built circa 1801 by John Cook on the site of an earlier Tudor manor. House bought by Sir Humphrey de Trafford, 2nd Baronet in 1881 and extended by his second son Charles de Trafford. Principal elevation of neo classical proportions with five bays and central pedimented porch. Vertical sliding sash windows with moulded surrounds.
Pair of identical entrance lodges north of the main house in the Gothic revival style with half timbered upper storey. Pitched roofs with alternate courses of fishscale slates and crested ridge tiles. Single storey wing with canted bay window. Timber casement windows with leaded lights. Neither house or lodges are listed.
Hothorpe Hall, Lutterworth
Grade I listed country house with park land in Northamptonshire. First built as a Tudor mansion in 1495, and later greatly extended as a Jacobean-style gentry house of the 1630’s.
Best known for being the family home of Robert Browne (1550-1633) the founder of the ‘Brownists’, a common designation for early separatists from the Church of England before 1620. Also home to the Powys family (Baron Lilford) from 1711 to 1949. Sir Thomas Powys was the Attorney General to King James II. Alterations to house made in 1740 by the architect Henry Filcroft, including Georgian interior rooms that transformed the principal rooms into a sequence of Palladian spaces.
Built of limestone ashlar with Colleyweston slate roof. Venetian style stone mullioned windows and Dutch style gables. Multiple chimney stacks linked by arches.
Pair of entrance lodges with gates, south west of main house. Built circa 1850. (Not listed).
Lilford Hall, Northamptonshire