Modest Neo classical country house set in picturesque parkland bordering the River Great Ouse in the village of Turvey, Bedfordshire. Built in 1792 by John Higgins, County Magistrate and High Sheriff of Bedfordshire. Extended and altered in 1830 by his eldest son Thomas Charles Higgins. Incorporates influences of Sir John Soane and a spiral staircase from the Crystal Palace.
Small Grade II listed entrance lodge built of coursed limestone. Slate roof with stone coped gables and moulded kneelers. Central triple axial brick chimney stack. Principle elevation with 3 light metal casement windows with pointed arched lights and hood moulding. Heraldic shield above with coat of arms. Projecting entrance porch to north elevation with lancet side lights.
Bottom Lodge, Turvey House
South lodge to Chicksands Priory, a monastic house built in 1150, for the Gilbertine Order on the banks of the River Flit.
After the Dissolution of the Monasteries the priory passed to the Snowe family and then to the Osborn family who owned it for almost 400 years. Elements of the original building remain but it was much altered over the years, not least in 1740 by the architect Isaac Ware and in 1813 by James Wyatt, who designed the entrance hall, staircase and porch in the Gothic style.
Known as RAF Chicksands the Priory Estate was occupied by the Royal Air Force and the United States Air Force until 1995. It is now home to the Defence and Intelligence and Security Centre.
Pair of near identical Lodges located along the A507 Ampthill Road constructed in random coursed lime stone, with ashlar dressings. Built circa 1862 in the Gothic style with stone mullioned windows fitted with leaded lights. T shaped plan with three Ashlar gables and central chimney stack. Canted bay window to south gable. East elevation with 4 centred arched door and timber porch with turned balusters.
Entrance lodge to Woburn Park at the junction of the High Street and Crawley Road. Built in 1845 in the Victorian Gothic style. Constructed of red brick with decorative dentilation work and corbelling. Canted bay window with full pane sash windows. Panelled entrance door with hood moulding. Plain tile roof with stone coped gables and triple chimney stack.
Grade II Lodge building at the entrance to Worburn Safari Park on A4012 Crawley Road, Husborne Crawley. Built circa 1852 for the 7th Duke of Bedford in the Gothic Revival style. Yellow brick with stone mullioned windows fitted with diamond leadlights. Canted bay window to north east gable. Pair of gables to north west elevation. Plain tiled roof with stone copings to gables, kneelers and ornamental finials.
Wrest Park is a Grade I listed country house with formal gardens located near Silsoe, Bedfordshire.
The house was built in 1834 by Thomas de Grey, 2nd Earl de Grey, an amateur architect and the first president of the Royal Institute of British Architects. House in the French style of Louis XV with Rococo style estate room interiors on two floors with basement and attic. Park and gardens modified by Lancelot Capability Brown between 1758-60.
Lodges adjoining screen on Park Avenue, built in 1826 in the French Grand Manner style. Built from rendered brick with a slated mansard roof. Elevations with rusticated quoins and slight projecting central bay with cruciform casement window. Dormer windows to all elevations with either triangular pediment or a segmental arched roof.
(Similar lodges now derelict north of house also).
Wrest Park, Bedfordshire
The Mansion house at Old Warden Park was built in 1875 for Joseph Shuttleworth and designed by the prominent victorian architect Henry Clutton. Grade II* listed Jacobean style 3 storey house, mainly ashlar defined by multiple tall chimneys, high clock tower and canted bay windows. Today, Bedford College Services manage the mansion and the Shuttleworth College on behalf of the Shuttleworth Trust.
Grade II listed Jacobean style Lodge cottage also built in 1875. Located along Bedford Road, north of the village. Built in Yellow brick with stone dressings. Central half canted porch with square headed arcading to parapet. Stone coping and finial to gables. Identical lodge located north of Mansion house called Ickwell Lodge.
Lodge, Old Warden Park
Surviving gate houses to the demolished country house at Battlesden Park, Bedfordshire.
House in the free gothic style built by G.H.Stokes in 1864 with surrounding parkland and lake advised by Sir Joseph Paxton. House partially demolished in 1886 under the instruction of Francis Russell, 9th Duke of Bedford. Remaining parts demolished after the second world war.
Battlesden Lodge is a Grade II listed building located along the A5 at Hockcliffe. Also in the free Gothic style, built in red brick with stone ashlar dressings. Slate roof with stone coping to gables and parapets. Variety of decorative stone finials.
Identical gate house located along A4012 London Road, south west of Milton Bryan village.