Whaddon Hall was built circa 1820 to replace the old manor house first mentioned in the 13th century. Once home to the Selby-Lowndes family, whose ancestor Williams Lowndes built the larger and grander Winslow Hall. Neo classical style house with 7 bays. Central giant portico with entablature on engaged Ionic columns and Doric pilasters. Colourwashed rendered facade with vertical sliding sash windows.
Pair of Grade II listed entrance lodges built circa 1820 in the Perpendicular Gothic style. Constructed of red brick with battlemented parapet. Pointed arch window with Y tracery and hood moulding. Panelled entrance door with four centred arch.
Lodges to Whaddon Hall
Country house with landscape park and woodland, built circa 1675 for Edmund Waller (poet and politician). House built of brick in a Dutch influenced neoclassical style of architecture with stone dressings. Three storeys high with a hipped slate roof and cupola. Facade with five bays of vertical sliding sash windows adorned with pairs of Ionic and Corinthian pilasters. Centre bay emphasized by curved and pointed pediments and engaged columns. Porte-cochere designed by George Devey (1820-1886) added circa 1865. Roof dormers with segmental and triangular pediments. The house remains in private ownership.
19th century entrance lodge, north of the main house, located along Windsor End adjacent to the M40 motorway. Building externally finished with decorative carved timber panels in the Renaissance style with relief panels showing garlands of fruit and Acanthus leaves, scrolls, and medallions. Over sailing pitched roof with decorative pierced carved barge boards and turned finial. Upper storey jettied over twisted wooden columns. Two and three light timber casement windows. Broad double chimney stack engaged with side elevation. Diagonally set chimney stack to main roof. Entrance porch gable with decorative panel surmounted by plaque or heraldic shield.
Oak Lodge undergoing restoration works
Entrance lodges to MacIntyre Independent School, Wingrave near Aylesbury. Formerly known as Wingrave Manor House. Built circa 1876, for Hannah de Rothschild. Victorian half timbered pastiche of nearby Ascott House. Leased to the Stewart Freeman Family who enlarged it in 1885 and eventually purchased it in 1898. House name changed to Mount Tabor when the nuns of the Order of St Mary of the Cross took it over after WWII.
Lodges constructed of red brick with half timbered upper floor. Plain tiled roof with club tile patterning and brick chimneys. Hipped dormer window and gabled bay. Jettied first floor with white washed rendered panels. 3 light casement windows with glazing bars. Lean to porch with heavy turned wooden balusters. Gate piers with low wall and iron railings. Tall arcade with flower motif and cast iron posts with ball finials.
Nos 22 & 24
Nos 26 & 28
Gate lodges to Bierton Hill Workhouse, built in 1844 and designed by the architect S.O.Foden. One was a porter’s lodge with an adjoining waiting room. The other housed the Guardians board-room. During the Second World War the former workhouse became Tindal Hospital and a large annexe of Emergency Medical Scheme huts was erected on the site to cope with the evacuations from London’s Middlesex Hospital.
(Foden was the architect for a number of other workhouses including those at Bromley, Cuckfield and Rye).
Pair of Grade II listed entrance lodges in the Elizabethan style, constructed of red brick with yellow brick quoins and brick dentilation course. Slate covered roofs with stone coped gables. Chimney stacks to gable ends. White framed casement windows with diamond leadlights. Iron entrance gates set between brick piers with an overthrow and lantern above.
Tindal hospital, Aylesbury
19th Century country house and gardens in the village of Mentmore, Buckinghamshire. Built in 1852 for the banker and collector of fine art Baron Mayer de Rothchild. House designed by Sir Joseph Paxton and his son in law George Henry Stokes in the Elizabethan / Jacobean revival style with a turreted roofline and great windows.
Grade II listed lodge and decorative gates dated 1879. Constructed of stone ashlar with a plain tile roof and stone mullioned windows with leaded lights. Ogee flemish gable with moulded stone coping, kneelers and stone finial, surmounted by plaque bearing coat of arms. Canted mullioned bay windows with hipped stone roof. Prominent chimney stack to north elevation with octagonal shafts.
Second lodge also built circa 1880, with low level brickwork and half timbered gables finished with pebbledash. Thatched roof with brick chimneys with square shafts set diagonally. Symmetrical y shaped layout with semi circular bay window with 6 lights to principle elevation.
Grade I listed late Elizabethan country house built circa 1500, extensively refurbished in 1858-72 by the Victorian architect William Burges for Robert John Carrington, 2nd Baron Carrington.
House, stables and service buildings converted into a series of private dwellings by developers in the 1970’s.
Former Lodge to Gayhurst House, circa 1750. Built of Ashlar stone with stone mullioned windows and plain tiled roof.
Pair of octagonal turrets with ogee lead domes with iron finials. Gothic arched door with lancet window above.
Grade II listed Lodge building, gate piers and railings south west of Stowe house along Oxford Avenue. Designed by John Boorer in 1843. Neo-classical form with rendered facade and chamfered quoins. 4×4 vertical sliding sash windows with decorative window surround and cill on scroll brackets. Central porch with pediment and entablature over moulded arch with Ionic pilasters. Parapet with stone balustrade and cornice dentilation. Panelled gate piers with stone corniced caps and urns.
The Water Stratford Lodge
Stowe House is a Grade I listed country house near Stowe, in Buckinghamshire. The house was designed by William Cleare and built in the Neo classical Baroque style in the 1680’s for the Temple family.
Various modifications and additions were completed to the house and gardens throughout the 18th century by some prominent figures of the period. First by Vanbrugh until his death, James Gibbs, William Kent, Charles Bridgeman, John Michael Rysbrack, Lancelot ‘Capability’ Brown, Sir John Soane, and Thomas Pitt (assisted by Giovanni Battista Borra), who adapted various Robert Adam designs. The state apartments and some final modifications are attributed to Vincenzo Valdre. As Stowe evolved it became widely renowned for its magnificent gardens, park land, temples and monuments that celebrate the ‘Age of Enlightenment’.
Pair of entrance lodges at the southern entrance of the Grand Avenue, built circa 1805 in the English Baroque style. Probably designed by Vincenzo Valdre constructed of coursed square limestone with ashlar and Coade stone dressings. Sloping copper roof concealed by stone balustrade with bracketed cornice and squared pedestals surmounted by circular pots. 6 panel door with stone hood on curved brackets with 3×4 vertical sliding sash windows either side. Recessed decorative relief panels above openings with stylized foliage. Giant corner pilasters and plinth to all elevations.
Grade II listed lodge house, circa 1880-90 in the classical style along the A41 on the edge of the Waddesdon estate. Constructed from red brick with stone dressings and a flat lead roof. Features include a stone plinth, panelled first floor band course, upper frieze and cornice with balustraded parapet.
Manor house built in the Neo-Renaissance style in 1874 for Baron Ferdinand de Rothschild. Bequeathed to the National Trust in 1957.
Predominantly Georgian style country house overlooking the River Great Ouse near Turvey. Now converted into flats.
Entrance lodge constructed of dressed stone with a slate roof with multiple gables. Gothic revival style with highly decorative eaves, and leaded windows with hood mouldings.
Cold Brayfield, Buckinghamshire