Grand 16th Century house near to Stamford, built for Sir William Cecil, later 1st Baron Burghley, who was Lord High Treasurer to Queen Elizabeth 1. Constructed between 1558 and 1587 and modelled on the privy lodgings of Richmond Palace.
House built in the Elizabethan style with room interiors in the Baroque style. Plan form in the shape of the letter E in honour of the Queen. Constructed of Barnack stone from the Kingscliffe quarry in Northamptonshire. Three storey’s high with square towers with octagonal turrets with ogee cupolas. Park laid out by Capability Brown.
Grade II listed triple arched gateway flanked by lodges at the west entrance. Lodges built of ashlar with similar features to main house. Pair of entrance lodges also along the B1443 built of limestone with plain tile roofs with stone coped gable ends. Two storeys high with stone mullioned windows and central chimney.