Jacobean Manor house in the Northamptonshire countryside near Oundle. Built circa 1657, extended and remodelled circa 1858. Former family home of the Delacy family and later owned by George Ward Hunt who became Chancellor of the Exchequer in the first Disraeli government and First Lord of the Admiralty in 1874. House built of coursed limestone with ashlar dressings and stone mullioned windows. Hipped slate roof behind open parapet with stone ball finials. Ashlar chimney stacks.
Rusticated stone built entrance lodge along Pilton Road in the Gothic revival style. With decorative wooden verge boards with fringe decoration and eaves brackets.
South lodge constructed of dressed stone with polygonal gable end and slate roof. Timber casement windows with pointed arched heads and glazing bars. Roundal window in apex of other gable. Central ashlar chimney stack.
South Lodge, Wadenhoe
Grade I listed country house with park land in Northamptonshire. First built as a Tudor mansion in 1495, and later greatly extended as a Jacobean-style gentry house of the 1630’s.
Best known for being the family home of Robert Browne (1550-1633) the founder of the ‘Brownists’, a common designation for early separatists from the Church of England before 1620. Also home to the Powys family (Baron Lilford) from 1711 to 1949. Sir Thomas Powys was the Attorney General to King James II. Alterations to house made in 1740 by the architect Henry Filcroft, including Georgian interior rooms that transformed the principal rooms into a sequence of Palladian spaces.
Built of limestone ashlar with Colleyweston slate roof. Venetian style stone mullioned windows and Dutch style gables. Multiple chimney stacks linked by arches.
Pair of entrance lodges with gates, south west of main house. Built circa 1850. (Not listed).
Lilford Hall, Northamptonshire
Large country house with formal terraced gardens originally owned by Sir William Tresham in 1438 and sold in 1619 to Sir William Cockwayne, Lord Mayor of London. In 1828 the hall was sold to the family of Thomas Hope (1769-1831) a Dutch banker.
House built of limestone ashlar with a Collyweston slate roof. Arranged around a courtyard with linking screen with Gothic style balustrade. Much altered and enlarged in the late 16th and early 17th centuries. Property perhaps more known for the unusual triangular Lodge in the grounds of the hall built by Thomas Tresham in 1592. A design that celebrates the Catholic faith.
Pair of identical entrance lodges, in the Gothic revival style. Built of ironstone ashlar with limestone dressings. Principal elevation with 3 bays divided by pilasters. Central recessed doorway with multiple arches. Pedimented gable with central traceried roundel and coping stones surmounted by pinnacles. Pointed arched windows with hood mouldings.
Large Georgian manor house with medieval origins surrounded by both formal and wild gardens, park land and lake. Home of the Brudenell family since 1514 and the 7th Earl of Cardigan who led the Charge of the Light Brigade. Seven of the Brudenell family were Earls of Cardigan.
Impressive medieval style lodge and 4 centred arched gateway flanked by octagonal crenelated turrets with gargoyles and arrow slits. Built circa 1841, of Limestone Ashlar with a pitched slate roof with stone coped gable ends. Canted bay with crenellated parapet and small gable above. Timber framed windows with arched head and leaded lights. Moulded string course between floors. 4 centred arched doorway with decorative plaque above. Pair of ashlar octagonal chimney to western end.
Laxton Hall is a 17th century Grade II listed building, situated north east of Corby in Northamptonshire. Possibly designed by WD Legg of Stamford for George, 3rd Baron Carbery. Enlarged and remodelled 1806-9 by Humphrey Repton and William Carter and altered again in 1867 for the seventh Lord Carbery. The hall has now been converted into a residential care home for the Polish community.
Pair of gate house with central arched gateway, circa 1824. Built of ashlar in the Neo-classical style with pedimented gables and slate roof. Single ashlar chimney stack. 3×3 vertical sliding sash windows set in moulded stone surrounds. Both properties extended with modern additions and in private ownership.
Kelmarsh Hall is an 18th century country house and estate in Northamptonshire. House in the Palladian style built in 1732 for William Hanbury by Francis Smith of Warwick to a James Gibb design. Built of red brick with ashlar dressings. 7 bay elevation with centre 3 bays breaking forward with open rectangular pediment over. Slated mansard roof with dormers and brick chimney stacks. Tall sash windows with alternate segmental and triangular pediments over.
Pair of entrance lodges, circa 1750 built of ashlar with lead covered low pitched roof. 3×4 vertical sliding sash window with glazing bars in gable elevation set in arched recess. Roof with short rendered stacks in slope and triangular pediment to gable. Pair of rusticated gate piers surmounted with decorative urns.
Lamport Hall, is a Grade I listed country house built in 1655 by Sir Justinian Isham who commissioned John Webb (a pupil of Inigo Jones). Major additions were added in 1741 and a further rebuilding of the south west front was completed in 1842 with a classical frontage. The Isham family lived at Lamport for over 400 years and was finally bequeathed to the Lamport Hall Preservation Trust in 1976.
Gate house referred to as ‘Swan Lodge’ along the A508 Harborough Road. Built circa 1849 in the late Gothic style. Single storey building built of limestone ashlar with fishscale pattern slate roof. Ashlar gable with parapet and kneelers. Stone mullioned windows and doorway with hooded mouldings.
Swan Lodge, Lamport Hall
Royal castle and hunting lodge in Rockingham Forest north of Corby. Enclosure type castle built in the 11th century with limestone walls. Garrisoned by troops during the English Civil War and returned to being a civil residence during the latter 17th and 18th centuries. Today the private home of the Saunders-Watson family.
South Lodge along the A6003 Uppingham Road, Grade II listed, designed by Anthony Salvin, 1840. Tudoresque stone cottage with stone coped gables and triple chimney stack.
South Lodge, Rockingham
South Lodge, Rockingham
Eydon Hall, circa 1789, is a Grade I listed stately home in the Palladian style, in the village of Eydon, Northamptonshire. House and 600 acre park remains broadly as originally designed by James Lewis for the Reverend Francis Annesley.
Entrance lodge at the junction of School Lane and the High Street, north of the house. Constructed of ironstone with adorned stone coped gables, plain tile roof and central bell tower.
Eydon Hall, Northamptonshire
Gate house north east of Litchborough Hall along the B4525 Banbury Road. Litchborough is about 4 miles north west of Towcester, Northamptonshire. The majority of old buildings in the village are built of local ironstone with welsh slate roofs and stone coped gable ends.
Litchborough Hall (Grade II listed) dates from the 17th century and remodelled and extended in 1838 by George Moore in Tudor style for William Grant. Gate house has similar features to main house with Tudor arched entrance surround, stone mullioned windows with hood moulds and lateral chimney stacks.
Litchborough Hall, Northamptonshire