Large Neoclassical country mansion built between 1795 and 1829 for Frederick Hervey, 4th Earl of Bristol and Bishop of Derry to house his collection treasures and estranged wife and family. Designed by the architect Mario Asprucci with building works overseen by Francis Sandys.
Italianate style Palladian facades finished with Stucco render with lead and slate covered roofs. Central rotunda with pilasters and domed balustraded roof. East and West wings each with a central pedimented portico with Ionic columns. House and Park given to National Trust in 1956 in lieu of death duties.
Gate lodge along the A143 (Not Ickworth Lodge) with pitched pantile roof, central chimney stack and white painted stone walls. Pitched roof dormers to south and east elevations with arched leaded windows. Projecting bays at ground floor with similar windows.
Former Tudor-Jaconbean mansion located near Lowestoft, Suffolk. Extensively remodelled in 1843 when bought by the prosperous entrepreneur and MP, Samuel Morton Peto. Designed by John Thomas in the Anglo-Italian renaissance style. Formal gardens created by William Andrews Nesfield with a greenhouse by Joseph Paxton.
South Lodge, screen wall and entrance gates located on the Blundeston Road. Grade II listed, built circa 1846 and contructed of red brick with stone mouldings and quoins. Pitched slate roof with fishscale pattern and Flemish gables. South elevation with 4 light canted bay window in stone. Central axial chimney stack with cruciform group of flues.
South Lodge, Somerleyton.
Gate house north west of Freston Park on the banks of the River Orwell.
Freston Park is best known for its six storey tower which is thought to have been built in 1578 by wealthy Ipswich merchant called Thomas Gooding as a lookout post. Arguably to be Britains oldest folly the tower is now owned by the Landmark Trust. Adjacent timber framed house circa 16th century much altered and extended arranged around courtyard plan. Now subdivided into 4 cottages.
Park land associated with Woolverstone Hall, an 18th century house built for William Berners, a property developer from London. Palladian style house designed by John Johnson of Leicestershire with a central block comprising of main living areas flanked by two smaller wings. Local folk lore tells the tale of William Berners’ pet monkey raising the alarm when Woolverstone Hall caught fire enabling the family to escape unharmed. Following this, Berners had images and statues of monkeys made to adorn the Woolverstone Hall estate.
Gate house at Dunston Corner south of Coddenham village. Believed to be part of the Shrubland Hall estate, Suffolk.
Rather curious three storey building in the Italianate style constructed of Gault brick with an open colonnade along the west elevation. Ascending levels of mono pitched roof leading up to small bell tower with gable. Mix of vertical sliding sash and casement windows with moulded surrounds. Pair of octagonal stone gate piers topped with urns and single decorative gate. Small free standing arch with brace at side of entrance gate.
Dunstons Corner, Coddenham
Helmingham Hall is a moated manor house built for Lionel Tollemache the High Sheriff of Suffolk and Norfolk in the 16th century. The house is built around a courtyard in a late medieval / Tudor style.
Remodelled by John Nash in C.1800 with substantial parts being rebuilt or encased by red brick with embattled parapets and crow stepped gables.
Pair of entrance lodges south east of the main house in a similar architectural style with plain tiled roofs and highly decorative brick chimneys. Red brick with diaper bond pattern of contrasting brick colour and stone ashlar dressings. Stone mullioned windows with small pane lead lattice casements. Bay windows with crenellated parapets to principle elevations. Decorative brick finials to changes in roof line and gables.
Helmingham hall, Suffolk
Historic country house with planned gardens designed by James Paine for the reverend John Bacon in the early 1770’s. Purchased in 1788 by Sir William Fowle Middleton, who commissioned architect John Gandy-Deering to remodel it in the early 1830’s with subsequent work by Sir Charles Barry. Built of Gault brick with dressings of limestone and stucco. Parkland styled by Humphrey Repton.
Entrance lodge in the Italianate style located along Norwich Road. Three storey tower constructed of Gault brick with decorative features in white stucco, including rusticated quoins and dentil moulding.
Pyramid roof with double Roman pantiles and oversailing eaves. Oculus window below cornice. Twin arched Oriel with gable supported by columns on west elevation. Window surround to ground floor sash window with projecting ears at top corners. Twin recessed arched windows to south elevation. Open colonnade with upper first floor balcony covered by hipped roof. Two storey addition to north elevation. Pair of gate piers surmounted with lanterns with ornate wrought iron gates.
Shrubland Park, Suffolk
Shrubland Hall is an historic country house near Needham Market, Suffolk. The house was designed by James Paine and built in the 1770′ for the Bacon family. With Italian style gardens by Sir Charles Barry and parkland designed by Sir Humphrey Repton. The large opulent Georgian mansion with Regency additions, is now used as a luxury boutique hotel and health clinic.
Pair of gate lodges at west entrance to Shrubland Park, built circa 1870. Central carriage gateway surmounted by Italianate tower and flanked by a pair of single storey lodges. Each lodge is constructed of brick with rusticated quoins and a single sash window. Large oversailing Roman pantile roof with widely spaced modillions. Central archway with giant voussoirs and carved keystone. Square tower with twin recessed open arches.