Gatehouse in the Perpendicular Gothic style built circa 1846 and probably designed by the architect W J Donthorne. Constructed of coursed stone with ashlar quoins and stone mullioned windows. Central two storey arched gateway with room above, flanked by single storey lodges.
Pitched roofs covered with slates in fishscale pattern. Stone coped gable ends with octagonal finials at corners. Two storey turret with lancet windows to east elevation. Date stone above first floor windows refers to re-building work completed in 2010. Building grade II listed but in private ownership.
Jacobean style country house built circa 1846. Principal elevation of symmetrical design with 3 bays and central arched porch with balustrade. Stone mullioned windows with pointed arch and carved spandrel panels. Protuding wings with double height oriel windows to gable ends. Pitched roof covered with slates with fishscale pattern. Clusters of octagonal chimney stacks. Octagonal bell turret.
Heronden Hall, Tenterden
Whaddon Hall was built circa 1820 to replace the old manor house first mentioned in the 13th century. Once home to the Selby-Lowndes family, whose ancestor Williams Lowndes built the larger and grander Winslow Hall. Neo classical style house with 7 bays. Central giant portico with entablature on engaged Ionic columns and Doric pilasters. Colourwashed rendered facade with vertical sliding sash windows.
Pair of Grade II listed entrance lodges built circa 1820 in the Perpendicular Gothic style. Constructed of red brick with battlemented parapet. Pointed arch window with Y tracery and hood moulding. Panelled entrance door with four centred arch.
Lodges to Whaddon Hall
Neo-classical style manor House thought to be designed by Samuel Wyatt (1737-1807) or by his brother James Wyatt (1746-1813), built circa 1780 for Lord Hothfield. Simple elegant building with seven bays divided by pilasters and central pedimented doorway. Later extended at both ends to include a porch and carriage entrance. Park and mansion requisitioned in 1939 by the British Army. Estate purchased by Sir Reginald Rootes in 1947 and the old mansion demolished in 1954.
Small entrance lodge in the Victorian Gothic style assumed to belong to the former manor house. Constructed of London brick with overhanging hipped roof. Central recessed entrance door with eyebrow fanlight window above. Pointed arched casement windows with glazing bars. (Building not listed).
Large country house, designed by Joseph Bonomi (1739-1808) in the neo-Elizabethan style, built between 1793-1799 for George Finch Hatton, 9th Earl of Winchilsea. Later occupied by Prince Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh, the second son of Queen Victoria. House severely damaged by fire and rebuilt on the same site in 1926.
Tower Lodge and gateway built circa 1848, possibly designed by the Scottish architect William Burn (1789-1870) in the Gothic revival style. External walls of knapped flint with dressed stone quoins. Four octagonal corner turrets with single light windows and ogee cupola, terminated with a decorative finial. Central two storey arched gateway with decorative wrought iron gates and overthrow. Heraldic achievement with pilasters and pierced balustrade.
Two storey entrance lodge north east of Tower Lodge, also mid 19th century. White rendered external walls with arched ‘Dering’ windows complete with hood mouldings. Pitched roof covered with slate tiles in Fishtail pattern. Stone coped gable ends with octagonal finials surmounted by cupola at corners. Central projecting gable with Crown and motto above single light with hood mould.
Eastwell Park Tower
Georgian manor house built circa 1801 by John Cook on the site of an earlier Tudor manor. House bought by Sir Humphrey de Trafford, 2nd Baronet in 1881 and extended by his second son Charles de Trafford. Principal elevation of neo classical proportions with five bays and central pedimented porch. Vertical sliding sash windows with moulded surrounds.
Pair of identical entrance lodges north of the main house in the Gothic revival style with half timbered upper storey. Pitched roofs with alternate courses of fishscale slates and crested ridge tiles. Single storey wing with canted bay window. Timber casement windows with leaded lights. Neither house or lodges are listed.
Hothorpe Hall, Lutterworth
Large country house with formal terraced gardens originally owned by Sir William Tresham in 1438 and sold in 1619 to Sir William Cockwayne, Lord Mayor of London. In 1828 the hall was sold to the family of Thomas Hope (1769-1831) a Dutch banker.
House built of limestone ashlar with a Collyweston slate roof. Arranged around a courtyard with linking screen with Gothic style balustrade. Much altered and enlarged in the late 16th and early 17th centuries. Property perhaps more known for the unusual triangular Lodge in the grounds of the hall built by Thomas Tresham in 1592. A design that celebrates the Catholic faith.
Pair of identical entrance lodges, in the Gothic revival style. Built of ironstone ashlar with limestone dressings. Principal elevation with 3 bays divided by pilasters. Central recessed doorway with multiple arches. Pedimented gable with central traceried roundel and coping stones surmounted by pinnacles. Pointed arched windows with hood mouldings.
19th Century country house and gardens in the village of Mentmore, Buckinghamshire. Built in 1852 for the banker and collector of fine art Baron Mayer de Rothchild. House designed by Sir Joseph Paxton and his son in law George Henry Stokes in the Elizabethan / Jacobean revival style with a turreted roofline and great windows.
Grade II listed lodge and decorative gates dated 1879. Constructed of stone ashlar with a plain tile roof and stone mullioned windows with leaded lights. Ogee flemish gable with moulded stone coping, kneelers and stone finial, surmounted by plaque bearing coat of arms. Canted mullioned bay windows with hipped stone roof. Prominent chimney stack to north elevation with octagonal shafts.
Second lodge also built circa 1880, with low level brickwork and half timbered gables finished with pebbledash. Thatched roof with brick chimneys with square shafts set diagonally. Symmetrical y shaped layout with semi circular bay window with 6 lights to principle elevation.
Large Georgian manor house with medieval origins surrounded by both formal and wild gardens, park land and lake. Home of the Brudenell family since 1514 and the 7th Earl of Cardigan who led the Charge of the Light Brigade. Seven of the Brudenell family were Earls of Cardigan.
Impressive medieval style lodge and 4 centred arched gateway flanked by octagonal crenelated turrets with gargoyles and arrow slits. Built circa 1841, of Limestone Ashlar with a pitched slate roof with stone coped gable ends. Canted bay with crenellated parapet and small gable above. Timber framed windows with arched head and leaded lights. Moulded string course between floors. 4 centred arched doorway with decorative plaque above. Pair of ashlar octagonal chimney to western end.
Extravagant country manor house and estate owned by the Marquis of Blandford (later the 5th Duke of Marlborough) between 1798 and 1819. In 1819 the Duke went bankrupt and had to retire to Blenheim Palace. Whiteknights was then estate sold off and the house was demolished in 1840. The land was divided into six leasehould units in 1867 with new houses designed by Alfred Waterhouse. Among them ‘Park House’ stands on the site of the old 18th century mansion.
(Whiteknights name derived from John De Earley “The White Knight” who had served with King Edward I in Scotland, and owned the estate until 1365). Whiteknights has been home to the University of Reading since 1947.
Late 19th Century entrance lodge formerly serving Whiteknights Park House at the junction of Chancellors Way and the A327 Shinfield Road. Constructed of red brick with diaper detailing and plain tiled roofs. Asymmetrical layout with a pair of gable ends to west elevation, half hip and exposed half timbered full gable. Canted bay window and entrance porch each with own gable to north side with decorative barge boards. Brick chimney stacks with octagonal shape in triple and double combinations.
Second lodge simpler in appearance known as Blandford Lodge. Also constructed of brick with exposed half timbered gables and decorative barge boards. Pair of hipped gables to south side. Central quadruple chimney stack with octagonal shape.
Grade I listed late Elizabethan country house built circa 1500, extensively refurbished in 1858-72 by the Victorian architect William Burges for Robert John Carrington, 2nd Baron Carrington.
House, stables and service buildings converted into a series of private dwellings by developers in the 1970’s.
Former Lodge to Gayhurst House, circa 1750. Built of Ashlar stone with stone mullioned windows and plain tiled roof.
Pair of octagonal turrets with ogee lead domes with iron finials. Gothic arched door with lancet window above.