Neo-classical style manor House thought to be designed by Samuel Wyatt (1737-1807) or by his brother James Wyatt (1746-1813), built circa 1780 for Lord Hothfield. Simple elegant building with seven bays divided by pilasters and central pedimented doorway. Later extended at both ends to include a porch and carriage entrance. Park and mansion requisitioned in 1939 by the British Army. Estate purchased by Sir Reginald Rootes in 1947 and the old mansion demolished in 1954.
Small entrance lodge in the Victorian Gothic style assumed to belong to the former manor house. Constructed of London brick with overhanging hipped roof. Central recessed entrance door with eyebrow fanlight window above. Pointed arched casement windows with glazing bars. (Building not listed).
Modest Neo classical country house set in picturesque parkland bordering the River Great Ouse in the village of Turvey, Bedfordshire. Built in 1792 by John Higgins, County Magistrate and High Sheriff of Bedfordshire. Extended and altered in 1830 by his eldest son Thomas Charles Higgins. Incorporates influences of Sir John Soane and a spiral staircase from the Crystal Palace.
Small Grade II listed entrance lodge built of coursed limestone. Slate roof with stone coped gables and moulded kneelers. Central triple axial brick chimney stack. Principle elevation with 3 light metal casement windows with pointed arched lights and hood moulding. Heraldic shield above with coat of arms. Projecting entrance porch to north elevation with lancet side lights.
Bottom Lodge, Turvey House
Grade II listed Lodge building, gate piers and railings south west of Stowe house along Oxford Avenue. Designed by John Boorer in 1843. Neo-classical form with rendered facade and chamfered quoins. 4×4 vertical sliding sash windows with decorative window surround and cill on scroll brackets. Central porch with pediment and entablature over moulded arch with Ionic pilasters. Parapet with stone balustrade and cornice dentilation. Panelled gate piers with stone corniced caps and urns.
The Water Stratford Lodge
Stowe House is a Grade I listed country house near Stowe, in Buckinghamshire. The house was designed by William Cleare and built in the Neo classical Baroque style in the 1680’s for the Temple family.
Various modifications and additions were completed to the house and gardens throughout the 18th century by some prominent figures of the period. First by Vanbrugh until his death, James Gibbs, William Kent, Charles Bridgeman, John Michael Rysbrack, Lancelot ‘Capability’ Brown, Sir John Soane, and Thomas Pitt (assisted by Giovanni Battista Borra), who adapted various Robert Adam designs. The state apartments and some final modifications are attributed to Vincenzo Valdre. As Stowe evolved it became widely renowned for its magnificent gardens, park land, temples and monuments that celebrate the ‘Age of Enlightenment’.
Pair of entrance lodges at the southern entrance of the Grand Avenue, built circa 1805 in the English Baroque style. Probably designed by Vincenzo Valdre constructed of coursed square limestone with ashlar and Coade stone dressings. Sloping copper roof concealed by stone balustrade with bracketed cornice and squared pedestals surmounted by circular pots. 6 panel door with stone hood on curved brackets with 3×4 vertical sliding sash windows either side. Recessed decorative relief panels above openings with stylized foliage. Giant corner pilasters and plinth to all elevations.
Gate lodges to former country house destroyed by fire in 1904. Uffington House built late 17th century, large neo-classical style house with porticoed temple front and tall sash windows. Hipped roof emphasised by stone balustrade and modillion cornice.
Pair of surviving lodges along the A1175, east of Uffington village. Neo classical motifs including sash window and parapet with stone balustrade.
Uffington Hall, Lincolnshire
Horton hall was a grand palladian style property with formal gardens and a landscaped park that was sadly demolished in 1936. Owned by George Montagu Dunk the 2nd Earl of Halifax the property was extensively remodelled and enlarged throughout the 18th century with a large cupola dome and Ionic portico.
Pair of later Victorian gate lodges along the B256 Newport Pagnell Road (formerly the A50) in the neo classical style with Ionic pilasters and pedimented gable. Both properties extended with modern additions and in private ownership.
Grade I listed country house and estate near Northampton with formal and wild gardens. Family home to the MacDonald-Buchanan family. House constructed in 1702 in the Queen Anne or English Baroque style with ashlar dressings and slate roof.
Pair of stone entrance lodge in the neo classical style with elaborate ornamentation and decoration. Door with architrave surmounted by a frieze with a shield and garlands. Large sash window with pediment. Parapet with stone balustrade and urn.
Cottesbrooke Hall, Northamptonshire