Georgian mansion built circa 1840 in the style of Decimus Burton but demolished in the 1950’s.
Miraculously the coach house with its wall mansion kitchen garden, the courtyard and its grounds still survive despite numerous attempts to redevelop the site for new housing and the construction of the bypass.
Two lodges also survive, one at the end of Cornford Lane and the other along the A264 Pembury Road, near to the entrance of Oakley School. Similar in appearance, built of brick with stone hood mouldings and quoins. Plain tile pitched roof with decorative barge board and hanging finial. Pairs of brick chimney stacks set diagonally.
Country house with ornamental gardens and woodland purchased by Rear Admiral the Hon. James William King in 1823. King enlarged the Regency style villa and made improvements to the grounds before selling Angley Park to the tobacco importer Mr Sackett Tomlin in 1869. Tomlin subsequently demolished the mansion and built a new one. His son Edward Locke Tomlin then extended this Victorian mansion with a stable block and gardens in the ‘romantic style of the Victorian garden’ and installed new lodge gates. After his death in 1929 the estate was broken up for sale and the Victorian mansion demolished by Edwin Brock.
Whitewell Lodge north east of the mansion on the A262 Goudhurst Road. Constructed of red brick in a neo-Georgian style to the designs of the Arts & Crafts architect Mervyn Macartney (1853-1932). Two storeys high with wooden framed casement windows. Pitched slate roof with lead sheet ridge and hip rolls. Pair of pilastered chimney stacks. Symmetrical elevation with central rounded arch gateway with large wrought iron gates.
Angley Park, Cranbrook
Horton hall was a grand palladian style property with formal gardens and a landscaped park that was sadly demolished in 1936. Owned by George Montagu Dunk the 2nd Earl of Halifax the property was extensively remodelled and enlarged throughout the 18th century with a large cupola dome and Ionic portico.
Pair of later Victorian gate lodges along the B256 Newport Pagnell Road (formerly the A50) in the neo classical style with Ionic pilasters and pedimented gable. Both properties extended with modern additions and in private ownership.
Courteenhall house is located approximately 5 miles south of Northampton and the family home of the Wake family for many generations. The principal house was built in the late 18th century in the neo classical style and sits in a fine parkland setting designed by Humphrey Repton.
Gate house along the A508 Northampton road, west of the estate. Stone building with clay tiled roof. Features include gabled wing, octagonal chimney pots, stone mullioned windows, and dormer window across eaves line.
Entrance houses to St Andrew’s psychiatric hospital, Northampton. Northampton General Lunatic Asylum opened to ‘private and pauper’ lunatics on 1 August 1838. The hospital was built on land once owned by the Cluniac Priory of St. Andrew’s.
Pair of identical gate houses along Billing Road constructed in red brick with sandstone surrounds to openings. Stone mullioned windows with glass in lead lattice. Gabled pitched roof with plain tiles and brick chimney stacks.
St Andrew’s, Northampton