Tudor house associated with Flemish clothiers and the Dunk family. Notable owners in it’s history include the Hon Felix Tollermarche in 1839 and Major George Robert Stevenson in 1848. Purchased and remodelled in 1874 by William Cotterill (1828-1898) a successful tea broker and the son of a Birmingham millionaire. House later owned and extended by Charles Eugene Gunther, who made his fortune as chairman of the parent company of Oxo. Tongswood was sold in 1945 to W.B. Harris for the purpose of housing St Ronan’s school from its wartime home of Bicton Park, Devon.
Grade II listed entrance lodge built of red brick with stone ashlar details. Plain tiled roof with stone coping to gables and parapets. Central cluster chimney stack diagonally set. Built early twentieth century in the Baroque-revival style. Northwest elevation with central Doric columned arcade in antis and pedimented gabled dormer with panel bearing coat of arms above window. South west gable finished with ogee parapet surmounted by pediment. Bracketed pentice roof above stone mullioned windows.
Concave brick screen wall with cast iron railings. Stone panelled gate piers with modillion cornice and ball finial.