Historic country house with planned gardens designed by James Paine for the reverend John Bacon in the early 1770’s. Purchased in 1788 by Sir William Fowle Middleton, who commissioned architect John Gandy-Deering to remodel it in the early 1830’s with subsequent work by Sir Charles Barry. Built of Gault brick with dressings of limestone and stucco. Parkland styled by Humphrey Repton.
Entrance lodge in the Italianate style located along Norwich Road. Three storey tower constructed of Gault brick with decorative features in white stucco, including rusticated quoins and dentil moulding.
Pyramid roof with double Roman pantiles and oversailing eaves. Oculus window below cornice. Twin arched Oriel with gable supported by columns on west elevation. Window surround to ground floor sash window with projecting ears at top corners. Twin recessed arched windows to south elevation. Open colonnade with upper first floor balcony covered by hipped roof. Two storey addition to north elevation. Pair of gate piers surmounted with lanterns with ornate wrought iron gates.