Victorian country house north of Tunbridge Wells. Built circa 1830 by the architect and builder Decimus Burton for Sir David Salomon, the first Jewish Lord Mayor of London. Irregular and complex house in the Italianate style built of stone ashlar with a stone parapet and balustrade.
Three storey east lodge built circa 1895 in the Victorian Gothic style. Constructed of stone ashlar with half timbered jettied upper floors and projecting loggia. Canted bay window supported on large scrolled brackets to east elevation. Gable ends with roughcast infilled panels and cartouche foliage panel at apex. Two light casement windows. Plain tile roof with overhanging eaves and decorative lion finials. Central stone chimney stack with family crest.
Two storey North Lodge with irregular shaped stone ashlar walls with half timbered jettied first floor with white washed rendered panels. Plain tiled roof with club tile patterning and ball finial to gable end. Decorative pierced barge boards with hanging finial. Gabled dormers partly below eaves. Central brick chimney stack.
Group of entrance lodge buildings to Calverley Park, Tunbridge Wells. A mid 19th century landscape of villas in parkland, laid out by the architect and builder Decimus Burton, part of which was developed as a public park in the 1920s.
Pair of entrance lodges from Crescent Road with central Roman carriage arch, named Victoria Lodge. Built circa early 19th century of stone ashlar in the neo-classical style. West or principle elevation flanked with engaged fluted Doric columns supporting a heavy entablature. Vitruvian style vertical sliding sash window with moulded stone surround with projecting ears at top corners. Grade II listed.
Octagonal shaped single storey building with rectangular side projection at junction of Crescent Road and Calverly Road. Named Keston Lodge and built circa 1828-31 of stone ashlar. Slate roof with oversailing eaves supported on modillions. Romanesque style vertical sliding sash windows with Oeil-de-boeuf above.
Single storey building at south entrance from Grove Hill Road, named Farnborough Lodge. Built circa early 19th century of stone ashlar with plain tile covered roof. Gable end with attic window and decorative pierced barge board. Half hipped gable without window facing south. Pair of axial chimney stacks. Projecting porch with pointed arch and stone coping. Two light casement windows with creased tiled sill.
Victorian entrance lodge to Oakley school, Pembury Road, Tunbridge Wells. Origins of house / estate unknown. Lodge constructed of red brick with vertical tile hanging to upper storey. Plain tile roof with crested ridge tiles. Gable elevation canted bay window and jettied first floor supported by ornate brackets. Lean to porch with octagonal pilasters and 4 centred arched doorway and windows.
Georgian mansion built circa 1840 in the style of Decimus Burton but demolished in the 1950’s.
Miraculously the coach house with its wall mansion kitchen garden, the courtyard and its grounds still survive despite numerous attempts to redevelop the site for new housing and the construction of the bypass.
Two lodges also survive, one at the end of Cornford Lane and the other along the A264 Pembury Road, near to the entrance of Oakley School. Similar in appearance, built of brick with stone hood mouldings and quoins. Plain tile pitched roof with decorative barge board and hanging finial. Pairs of brick chimney stacks set diagonally.
Country house with ornamental gardens and woodland purchased by Rear Admiral the Hon. James William King in 1823. King enlarged the Regency style villa and made improvements to the grounds before selling Angley Park to the tobacco importer Mr Sackett Tomlin in 1869. Tomlin subsequently demolished the mansion and built a new one. His son Edward Locke Tomlin then extended this Victorian mansion with a stable block and gardens in the ‘romantic style of the Victorian garden’ and installed new lodge gates. After his death in 1929 the estate was broken up for sale and the Victorian mansion demolished by Edwin Brock.
Whitewell Lodge north east of the mansion on the A262 Goudhurst Road. Constructed of red brick in a neo-Georgian style to the designs of the Arts & Crafts architect Mervyn Macartney (1853-1932). Two storeys high with wooden framed casement windows. Pitched slate roof with lead sheet ridge and hip rolls. Pair of pilastered chimney stacks. Symmetrical elevation with central rounded arch gateway with large wrought iron gates.
Angley Park, Cranbrook
Gatehouse in the Perpendicular Gothic style built circa 1846 and probably designed by the architect W J Donthorne. Constructed of coursed stone with ashlar quoins and stone mullioned windows. Central two storey arched gateway with room above, flanked by single storey lodges.
Pitched roofs covered with slates in fishscale pattern. Stone coped gable ends with octagonal finials at corners. Two storey turret with lancet windows to east elevation. Date stone above first floor windows refers to re-building work completed in 2010. Building grade II listed but in private ownership.
Jacobean style country house built circa 1846. Principal elevation of symmetrical design with 3 bays and central arched porch with balustrade. Stone mullioned windows with pointed arch and carved spandrel panels. Protuding wings with double height oriel windows to gable ends. Pitched roof covered with slates with fishscale pattern. Clusters of octagonal chimney stacks. Octagonal bell turret.
Heronden Hall, Tenterden
Stately home north west of Ashford, built around a medieval hall. House remodeled circa 1900-1920 by the owner Ashley Dodd, who appointed Sir Reginald Blomfield to update the house and redesign the gardens. Constructed of ancient brick in the Jacobean style with distinctive Dutch gables. Two storeys high with attic rooms. Charming Italianate garden with statues, loggia, Persian rill, marble colonnade and Italian cypress trees.
Entrance lodges also built of brick with Dutch gable ends. Plain tiled roof with clustered chimney stack. Stone mullioned windows with hood mouldings. North lodge has a slightly simpler form with a projecting porch at the side. East lodge slightly grander and more ornate with stone kneelers, decorative roof tile pattern and diagonally set porch.
North Lodge, Godinton
East Lodge, Godinton
Neo-classical style manor House thought to be designed by Samuel Wyatt (1737-1807) or by his brother James Wyatt (1746-1813), built circa 1780 for Lord Hothfield. Simple elegant building with seven bays divided by pilasters and central pedimented doorway. Later extended at both ends to include a porch and carriage entrance. Park and mansion requisitioned in 1939 by the British Army. Estate purchased by Sir Reginald Rootes in 1947 and the old mansion demolished in 1954.
Small entrance lodge in the Victorian Gothic style assumed to belong to the former manor house. Constructed of London brick with overhanging hipped roof. Central recessed entrance door with eyebrow fanlight window above. Pointed arched casement windows with glazing bars. (Building not listed).
Large country house, designed by Joseph Bonomi (1739-1808) in the neo-Elizabethan style, built between 1793-1799 for George Finch Hatton, 9th Earl of Winchilsea. Later occupied by Prince Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh, the second son of Queen Victoria. House severely damaged by fire and rebuilt on the same site in 1926.
Tower Lodge and gateway built circa 1848, possibly designed by the Scottish architect William Burn (1789-1870) in the Gothic revival style. External walls of knapped flint with dressed stone quoins. Four octagonal corner turrets with single light windows and ogee cupola, terminated with a decorative finial. Central two storey arched gateway with decorative wrought iron gates and overthrow. Heraldic achievement with pilasters and pierced balustrade.
Two storey entrance lodge north east of Tower Lodge, also mid 19th century. White rendered external walls with arched ‘Dering’ windows complete with hood mouldings. Pitched roof covered with slate tiles in Fishtail pattern. Stone coped gable ends with octagonal finials surmounted by cupola at corners. Central projecting gable with Crown and motto above single light with hood mould.
Eastwell Park Tower