Entrance lodge to Kingsgate house, ancestral home of the Weller family built in the 1740’s. Lodge constructed of red brick quoined pilasters. Plain tiled hipped roof with club tile patterning. Half gabled end with vertical tile hanging to upper storey. Two and three light casement windows with glazing bars. Door canopy supported on brackets. West elevation with projecting turret style oriel window and separate bulls eye window. Central axial chimney stack with cruciform group of flues. Concave screen wall with brick piers topped with ball finial. Decorative iron gates with scroll pattern.
Tudor house associated with Flemish clothiers and the Dunk family. Notable owners in it’s history include the Hon Felix Tollermarche in 1839 and Major George Robert Stevenson in 1848. Purchased and remodelled in 1874 by William Cotterill (1828-1898) a successful tea broker and the son of a Birmingham millionaire. House later owned and extended by Charles Eugene Gunther, who made his fortune as chairman of the parent company of Oxo. Tongswood was sold in 1945 to W.B. Harris for the purpose of housing St Ronan’s school from its wartime home of Bicton Park, Devon.
Grade II listed entrance lodge built of red brick with stone ashlar details. Plain tiled roof with stone coping to gables and parapets. Central cluster chimney stack diagonally set. Built early twentieth century in the Baroque-revival style. Northwest elevation with central Doric columned arcade in antis and pedimented gabled dormer with panel bearing coat of arms above window. South west gable finished with ogee parapet surmounted by pediment. Bracketed pentice roof above stone mullioned windows.
Concave brick screen wall with cast iron railings. Stone panelled gate piers with modillion cornice and ball finial.
Country house with formal gardens designed by Sir Matthew Digby Wyatt for the antiquary Alexander Nesbitt. Built circa 1869, of stone ashlar in a simple Victorian Gothic style with a symmetrical facade. Purchased in 1920 by Frederick Eckstein, a partner in the firm of Wernher, Beit & Co and chairman of the Sudan Plantations Syndicate. After his death the estate passed to his son Sir Bernhard, who also had business interests in the Sudan. After Sir Bernhards death in 1948 the estate was broken up and sold. The house and stables now remain as freehold apartments.
Victorian entrance lodge south east of main house. Lodge constructed of stone ashlar with vertical tile hanging to upper storey. Clay tile roof with crested ridge tiles. Gable end with decorative finial and timber casement window. Iron entrance gates with scroll tops set between decorative iron piers emblazoned with coat of arms and lantern above.
Ancestral home of the Earls and Marquesses of Abergavenny on the Kent and Sussex border. Neo-Georgian style mansion house designed by the architect John L. Denman. Built circa 1938 when Eridge castle was demolished. Extensive formal gardens and park land with protected ancient woodland.
Grade II listed entrance lodge built circa 1825 and probably designed by the architect John Montier of Tunbridge Wells. Known locally as Windmill Lodge. Lodge constructed of stone with half timbered upper floor. Pitched roof covered with plain tiles with decorative pierced bargeboards to gable ends. North elevation with crenellated entrance porch. West elevation with canted bay window. Central ashlar chimney stack with crenellated top. Flat top field gate flanked by pair of diagonally set rusticated stone pier, with coronet cap surmounted by bulls head.