South lodge to Chicksands Priory, a monastic house built in 1150, for the Gilbertine Order on the banks of the River Flit.
After the Dissolution of the Monasteries the priory passed to the Snowe family and then to the Osborn family who owned it for almost 400 years. Elements of the original building remain but it was much altered over the years, not least in 1740 by the architect Isaac Ware and in 1813 by James Wyatt, who designed the entrance hall, staircase and porch in the Gothic style.
Known as RAF Chicksands the Priory Estate was occupied by the Royal Air Force and the United States Air Force until 1995. It is now home to the Defence and Intelligence and Security Centre.
Pair of near identical Lodges located along the A507 Ampthill Road constructed in random coursed lime stone, with ashlar dressings. Built circa 1862 in the Gothic style with stone mullioned windows fitted with leaded lights. T shaped plan with three Ashlar gables and central chimney stack. Canted bay window to south gable. East elevation with 4 centred arched door and timber porch with turned balusters.