Large country house, designed by Joseph Bonomi (1739-1808) in the neo-Elizabethan style, built between 1793-1799 for George Finch Hatton, 9th Earl of Winchilsea. Later occupied by Prince Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh, the second son of Queen Victoria. House severely damaged by fire and rebuilt on the same site in 1926.
Tower Lodge and gateway built circa 1848, possibly designed by the Scottish architect William Burn (1789-1870) in the Gothic revival style. External walls of knapped flint with dressed stone quoins. Four octagonal corner turrets with single light windows and ogee cupola, terminated with a decorative finial. Central two storey arched gateway with decorative wrought iron gates and overthrow. Heraldic achievement with pilasters and pierced balustrade.
Two storey entrance lodge north east of Tower Lodge, also mid 19th century. White rendered external walls with arched ‘Dering’ windows complete with hood mouldings. Pitched roof covered with slate tiles in Fishtail pattern. Stone coped gable ends with octagonal finials surmounted by cupola at corners. Central projecting gable with Crown and motto above single light with hood mould.