Large Neoclassical country mansion built between 1795 and 1829 for Frederick Hervey, 4th Earl of Bristol and Bishop of Derry to house his collection treasures and estranged wife and family. Designed by the architect Mario Asprucci with building works overseen by Francis Sandys.
Italianate style Palladian facades finished with Stucco render with lead and slate covered roofs. Central rotunda with pilasters and domed balustraded roof. East and West wings each with a central pedimented portico with Ionic columns. House and Park given to National Trust in 1956 in lieu of death duties.
Gate lodge along the A143 (Not Ickworth Lodge) with pitched pantile roof, central chimney stack and white painted stone walls. Pitched roof dormers to south and east elevations with arched leaded windows. Projecting bays at ground floor with similar windows.