Entrance houses to St Andrew’s psychiatric hospital, Northampton. Northampton General Lunatic Asylum opened to ‘private and pauper’ lunatics on 1 August 1838. The hospital was built on land once owned by the Cluniac Priory of St. Andrew’s.
Pair of identical gate houses along Billing Road constructed in red brick with sandstone surrounds to openings. Stone mullioned windows with glass in lead lattice. Gabled pitched roof with plain tiles and brick chimney stacks.