Large stately house in the neo palladian classical style. 12th century manor house extensively enlarged around 1630 by Sir William Pitt. Estate sold to the nation in 1817 and given to Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington following the Battle of Waterloo.
Principal elevation of symmetrical design with 7 bays and central pediment surmounted by Cupula turret. Built from rendered brick with a slate mansard roof and dormers. Elevations with rusticated quoins at corners and around openings. 3×4 vertical sliding sash windows. Tuscan style entrance porch. Projecting wings with Dutch style gable.
Pair of symmetrical lodges either side of entrance gates. Low pitch hipped slate roof with moulded cornice and central chimney stack. Also built of rendered brick with a slightly projecting pedimented gable with blind arch and small sash window. Return elevation with entrance door and sash windows to first floor. Carriageway gate posts with ball finials.