Gate lodges to Bierton Hill Workhouse, built in 1844 and designed by the architect S.O.Foden. One was a porter’s lodge with an adjoining waiting room. The other housed the Guardians board-room. During the Second World War the former workhouse became Tindal Hospital and a large annexe of Emergency Medical Scheme huts was erected on the site to cope with the evacuations from London’s Middlesex Hospital.
(Foden was the architect for a number of other workhouses including those at Bromley, Cuckfield and Rye).
Pair of Grade II listed entrance lodges in the Elizabethan style, constructed of red brick with yellow brick quoins and brick dentilation course. Slate covered roofs with stone coped gables. Chimney stacks to gable ends. White framed casement windows with diamond leadlights. Iron entrance gates set between brick piers with an overthrow and lantern above.