Large stately house in the neo palladian classical style. 12th century manor house extensively enlarged around 1630 by Sir William Pitt. Estate sold to the nation in 1817 and given to Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington following the Battle of Waterloo.
Principal elevation of symmetrical design with 7 bays and central pediment surmounted by Cupula turret. Built from rendered brick with a slate mansard roof and dormers. Elevations with rusticated quoins at corners and around openings. 3×4 vertical sliding sash windows. Tuscan style entrance porch. Projecting wings with Dutch style gable.
Pair of symmetrical lodges either side of entrance gates. Low pitch hipped slate roof with moulded cornice and central chimney stack. Also built of rendered brick with a slightly projecting pedimented gable with blind arch and small sash window. Return elevation with entrance door and sash windows to first floor. Carriageway gate posts with ball finials.
Monument Lodges, Stratfield Saye
Grade II* listed Georgian country house on a 20 acre estate in Lancashire. Present house built by Thomas Harrison of Chester in 1795-1798 when the estate covered some 1900 acres.
Remodelled by Alexander Mills in 1842. Sandstone ashlar 3 storey house with 5 bays on three sides, hipped slate roof and central Ionic entrance portico.
‘Postern’ North Lodge located on the A683 Lancaster Road. Built circa 1800 in the Classical Palladian style. Two storey central block flanked by two smaller wings. Constructed of sandstone ashlar with large oversailing pedimented roof with modillions at the eaves. East elevation has 2 unfluted Greek Doric columns in antis with entablature at 1st floor level. Doorway between columns and single window above with segmental arched head. Side wings with sliding slash windows and an entablature with blocking course. Pair of rusticated gate piers with wrought iron gates.
North Lodge, Quernmore
12th century castle and 17th century mansion house set in 25 acres of park land overlooking the Eden valley at Appleby-in-Westmorland. Former home of Lady Anne Clifford (1590-1676). Appleby Castle remains a private residence but parts of the castle are open to small private tours.
Grade II listed North Lodge to Appleby Castle located on the B6260 Boroughgate road. Mid/late 19th century, contemporary with the gateway. Red sandstone with cornice and battlements, two storeys with cornice/string between storeys. Cross windows of four and six lights with moulded stone mullions and transoms. Stepped gable to rear.
Kelmarsh Hall is an 18th century country house and estate in Northamptonshire. House in the Palladian style built in 1732 for William Hanbury by Francis Smith of Warwick to a James Gibb design. Built of red brick with ashlar dressings. 7 bay elevation with centre 3 bays breaking forward with open rectangular pediment over. Slated mansard roof with dormers and brick chimney stacks. Tall sash windows with alternate segmental and triangular pediments over.
Pair of entrance lodges, circa 1750 built of ashlar with lead covered low pitched roof. 3×4 vertical sliding sash window with glazing bars in gable elevation set in arched recess. Roof with short rendered stacks in slope and triangular pediment to gable. Pair of rusticated gate piers surmounted with decorative urns.
Grade II listed lodge house, circa 1880-90 in the classical style along the A41 on the edge of the Waddesdon estate. Constructed from red brick with stone dressings and a flat lead roof. Features include a stone plinth, panelled first floor band course, upper frieze and cornice with balustraded parapet.
Manor house built in the Neo-Renaissance style in 1874 for Baron Ferdinand de Rothschild. Bequeathed to the National Trust in 1957.