Gate lodges to Bierton Hill Workhouse, built in 1844 and designed by the architect S.O.Foden. One was a porter’s lodge with an adjoining waiting room. The other housed the Guardians board-room. During the Second World War the former workhouse became Tindal Hospital and a large annexe of Emergency Medical Scheme huts was erected on the site to cope with the evacuations from London’s Middlesex Hospital.
(Foden was the architect for a number of other workhouses including those at Bromley, Cuckfield and Rye).
Pair of Grade II listed entrance lodges in the Elizabethan style, constructed of red brick with yellow brick quoins and brick dentilation course. Slate covered roofs with stone coped gables. Chimney stacks to gable ends. White framed casement windows with diamond leadlights. Iron entrance gates set between brick piers with an overthrow and lantern above.
Tindal hospital, Aylesbury
19th Century country house and gardens in the village of Mentmore, Buckinghamshire. Built in 1852 for the banker and collector of fine art Baron Mayer de Rothchild. House designed by Sir Joseph Paxton and his son in law George Henry Stokes in the Elizabethan / Jacobean revival style with a turreted roofline and great windows.
Grade II listed lodge and decorative gates dated 1879. Constructed of stone ashlar with a plain tile roof and stone mullioned windows with leaded lights. Ogee flemish gable with moulded stone coping, kneelers and stone finial, surmounted by plaque bearing coat of arms. Canted mullioned bay windows with hipped stone roof. Prominent chimney stack to north elevation with octagonal shafts.
Second lodge also built circa 1880, with low level brickwork and half timbered gables finished with pebbledash. Thatched roof with brick chimneys with square shafts set diagonally. Symmetrical y shaped layout with semi circular bay window with 6 lights to principle elevation.
Grand 16th Century house near to Stamford, built for Sir William Cecil, later 1st Baron Burghley, who was Lord High Treasurer to Queen Elizabeth 1. Constructed between 1558 and 1587 and modelled on the privy lodgings of Richmond Palace.
House built in the Elizabethan style with room interiors in the Baroque style. Plan form in the shape of the letter E in honour of the Queen. Constructed of Barnack stone from the Kingscliffe quarry in Northamptonshire. Three storey’s high with square towers with octagonal turrets with ogee cupolas. Park laid out by Capability Brown.
Grade II listed triple arched gateway flanked by lodges at the west entrance. Lodges built of ashlar with similar features to main house. Pair of entrance lodges also along the B1443 built of limestone with plain tile roofs with stone coped gable ends. Two storeys high with stone mullioned windows and central chimney.