Tudor manor house built with formal parklands, built circa 1525 by Sir Richard Weston, courtier of Henry VIII. Notable for its importance to art history in showing some of the earliest traces of Italianate renaissance design elements in English architecture. Constructed of red brick with a plain tile roof with stepped gable ends. decorative moulded terracotta elements for windows frames, string-courses, cornices and finials.
Pair of 16th century gate keeper’s lodges located along the A3 London Road. Symmetrical in appearance. Constructed of red brick with moulded terracotta deressings. Hipped plain tile roof with crenallated parapet. Principle elevation with blind arcading consisting of two narrow round headed arches with a single larger panel between. Leaded casement windows with hood moulding. Pair of crenellated gate piers with decorative entrance gates.
Former Italianate style house and gardens built for the Leverson Gower family and the Duke of Sutherland and Sheriff of Sutherland. Constructed of plastered brick and ashlar with an impressive porte-corchere and lofty tower. Remodelling work by the architect Sir Charles Barry circa 1840. Gardens and landscape designed as a serpentine park by Capability Brown from 1758 onwards.
Grade II listed entrance lodges built circa 1776 by Joseph Pickford of Derby for the 2nd Earl Gower. Constructed of ashlar in the Palladian style with pedimented gables. Slate roof with lead clad coping and small squat chimney stacks. Large round arch recess with 3×4 sash window with blind occulus above. String course at first floor level. Flanked by painted brick extensions circa mid 19th century with casement windows with glazing bars.
Gate house at Dunston Corner south of Coddenham village. Believed to be part of the Shrubland Hall estate, Suffolk.
Rather curious three storey building in the Italianate style constructed of Gault brick with an open colonnade along the west elevation. Ascending levels of mono pitched roof leading up to small bell tower with gable. Mix of vertical sliding sash and casement windows with moulded surrounds. Pair of octagonal stone gate piers topped with urns and single decorative gate. Small free standing arch with brace at side of entrance gate.
Dunstons Corner, Coddenham
Historic country house with planned gardens designed by James Paine for the reverend John Bacon in the early 1770’s. Purchased in 1788 by Sir William Fowle Middleton, who commissioned architect John Gandy-Deering to remodel it in the early 1830’s with subsequent work by Sir Charles Barry. Built of Gault brick with dressings of limestone and stucco. Parkland styled by Humphrey Repton.
Entrance lodge in the Italianate style located along Norwich Road. Three storey tower constructed of Gault brick with decorative features in white stucco, including rusticated quoins and dentil moulding.
Pyramid roof with double Roman pantiles and oversailing eaves. Oculus window below cornice. Twin arched Oriel with gable supported by columns on west elevation. Window surround to ground floor sash window with projecting ears at top corners. Twin recessed arched windows to south elevation. Open colonnade with upper first floor balcony covered by hipped roof. Two storey addition to north elevation. Pair of gate piers surmounted with lanterns with ornate wrought iron gates.
Shrubland Park, Suffolk
Shrubland Hall is an historic country house near Needham Market, Suffolk. The house was designed by James Paine and built in the 1770′ for the Bacon family. With Italian style gardens by Sir Charles Barry and parkland designed by Sir Humphrey Repton. The large opulent Georgian mansion with Regency additions, is now used as a luxury boutique hotel and health clinic.
Pair of gate lodges at west entrance to Shrubland Park, built circa 1870. Central carriage gateway surmounted by Italianate tower and flanked by a pair of single storey lodges. Each lodge is constructed of brick with rusticated quoins and a single sash window. Large oversailing Roman pantile roof with widely spaced modillions. Central archway with giant voussoirs and carved keystone. Square tower with twin recessed open arches.