Grade I listed country house with park land in Northamptonshire. First built as a Tudor mansion in 1495, and later greatly extended as a Jacobean-style gentry house of the 1630’s.
Best known for being the family home of Robert Browne (1550-1633) the founder of the ‘Brownists’, a common designation for early separatists from the Church of England before 1620. Also home to the Powys family (Baron Lilford) from 1711 to 1949. Sir Thomas Powys was the Attorney General to King James II. Alterations to house made in 1740 by the architect Henry Filcroft, including Georgian interior rooms that transformed the principal rooms into a sequence of Palladian spaces.
Built of limestone ashlar with Colleyweston slate roof. Venetian style stone mullioned windows and Dutch style gables. Multiple chimney stacks linked by arches.
Pair of entrance lodges with gates, south west of main house. Built circa 1850. (Not listed).
Lilford Hall, Northamptonshire
19th Century country house and gardens in the village of Mentmore, Buckinghamshire. Built in 1852 for the banker and collector of fine art Baron Mayer de Rothchild. House designed by Sir Joseph Paxton and his son in law George Henry Stokes in the Elizabethan / Jacobean revival style with a turreted roofline and great windows.
Grade II listed lodge and decorative gates dated 1879. Constructed of stone ashlar with a plain tile roof and stone mullioned windows with leaded lights. Ogee flemish gable with moulded stone coping, kneelers and stone finial, surmounted by plaque bearing coat of arms. Canted mullioned bay windows with hipped stone roof. Prominent chimney stack to north elevation with octagonal shafts.
Second lodge also built circa 1880, with low level brickwork and half timbered gables finished with pebbledash. Thatched roof with brick chimneys with square shafts set diagonally. Symmetrical y shaped layout with semi circular bay window with 6 lights to principle elevation.
The Mansion house at Old Warden Park was built in 1875 for Joseph Shuttleworth and designed by the prominent victorian architect Henry Clutton. Grade II* listed Jacobean style 3 storey house, mainly ashlar defined by multiple tall chimneys, high clock tower and canted bay windows. Today, Bedford College Services manage the mansion and the Shuttleworth College on behalf of the Shuttleworth Trust.
Grade II listed Jacobean style Lodge cottage also built in 1875. Located along Bedford Road, north of the village. Built in Yellow brick with stone dressings. Central half canted porch with square headed arcading to parapet. Stone coping and finial to gables. Identical lodge located north of Mansion house called Ickwell Lodge.
Lodge, Old Warden Park
Castle Ashby Manor is the ancestral home of the 7th Marquess of Northampton. Its a fine house of the Elizabethan/Jacobean period built by William Compton with formal Victorian gardens and parkland designed by ‘Capability Brown’ after 1761. The house is a large quadrangular edifice with two octangular towers in the late Gothic style and has a lettered parapet.
Pair of houses at the formal entrance along the A428 south of the estate. Constructed in stone with plain tiled pitched roof with pinnacles adorning the gable parapets. Mullioned glazed windows with lead lattice and stained glass panels.
Castle Ashby, Northamptonshire