Estate and ancestral home of the Tapps-Gervis-Meyrick family. Located in the settlement of Hinton, near Bransgore, Hampshire.
Built in 1720 for Sir Peter Mews, MP for Christchurch and nephew of the Bishop of Winchester.
Designed by an unknown architect with 20 acres of landscaped gardens. House damaged by fire in 1777. Restored and enlarged by Joseph Gervis Clarke in 1793 in the Palladian classical style. Garden terrace and ballroom added in 1905 and designed by local architect Harold Peto.
Cottage style lodge along the Ringwood Road, west of the main house. Built in 1899 of red brick with stone mullioned windows with decorative surrounds. Slate covered roof with two brick chimneys. Half timbered gables with decorative barge boards.
Second lodge of simpler appearance with white render at junction with A35. Neither building listed.
Grade II* listed Georgian country house on a 20 acre estate in Lancashire. Present house built by Thomas Harrison of Chester in 1795-1798 when the estate covered some 1900 acres.
Remodelled by Alexander Mills in 1842. Sandstone ashlar 3 storey house with 5 bays on three sides, hipped slate roof and central Ionic entrance portico.
‘Postern’ North Lodge located on the A683 Lancaster Road. Built circa 1800 in the Classical Palladian style. Two storey central block flanked by two smaller wings. Constructed of sandstone ashlar with large oversailing pedimented roof with modillions at the eaves. East elevation has 2 unfluted Greek Doric columns in antis with entablature at 1st floor level. Doorway between columns and single window above with segmental arched head. Side wings with sliding slash windows and an entablature with blocking course. Pair of rusticated gate piers with wrought iron gates.
North Lodge, Quernmore
Gate house north west of Freston Park on the banks of the River Orwell.
Freston Park is best known for its six storey tower which is thought to have been built in 1578 by wealthy Ipswich merchant called Thomas Gooding as a lookout post. Arguably to be Britains oldest folly the tower is now owned by the Landmark Trust. Adjacent timber framed house circa 16th century much altered and extended arranged around courtyard plan. Now subdivided into 4 cottages.
Park land associated with Woolverstone Hall, an 18th century house built for William Berners, a property developer from London. Palladian style house designed by John Johnson of Leicestershire with a central block comprising of main living areas flanked by two smaller wings. Local folk lore tells the tale of William Berners’ pet monkey raising the alarm when Woolverstone Hall caught fire enabling the family to escape unharmed. Following this, Berners had images and statues of monkeys made to adorn the Woolverstone Hall estate.
Kelmarsh Hall is an 18th century country house and estate in Northamptonshire. House in the Palladian style built in 1732 for William Hanbury by Francis Smith of Warwick to a James Gibb design. Built of red brick with ashlar dressings. 7 bay elevation with centre 3 bays breaking forward with open rectangular pediment over. Slated mansard roof with dormers and brick chimney stacks. Tall sash windows with alternate segmental and triangular pediments over.
Pair of entrance lodges, circa 1750 built of ashlar with lead covered low pitched roof. 3×4 vertical sliding sash window with glazing bars in gable elevation set in arched recess. Roof with short rendered stacks in slope and triangular pediment to gable. Pair of rusticated gate piers surmounted with decorative urns.
Eydon Hall, circa 1789, is a Grade I listed stately home in the Palladian style, in the village of Eydon, Northamptonshire. House and 600 acre park remains broadly as originally designed by James Lewis for the Reverend Francis Annesley.
Entrance lodge at the junction of School Lane and the High Street, north of the house. Constructed of ironstone with adorned stone coped gables, plain tile roof and central bell tower.
Eydon Hall, Northamptonshire
Horton hall was a grand palladian style property with formal gardens and a landscaped park that was sadly demolished in 1936. Owned by George Montagu Dunk the 2nd Earl of Halifax the property was extensively remodelled and enlarged throughout the 18th century with a large cupola dome and Ionic portico.
Pair of later Victorian gate lodges along the B256 Newport Pagnell Road (formerly the A50) in the neo classical style with Ionic pilasters and pedimented gable. Both properties extended with modern additions and in private ownership.