Tag Archives: Tudor

Helmingham, Suffolk

Helmingham Hall is a moated manor house built for Lionel Tollemache the High Sheriff of Suffolk and Norfolk in the 16th century. The house is built around a courtyard in a late medieval / Tudor style.

Remodelled by John Nash in C.1800 with substantial parts being rebuilt or encased by red brick with embattled parapets and crow stepped gables.

Pair of entrance lodges south east of the main house in a similar architectural style with plain tiled roofs and highly decorative brick chimneys. Red brick with diaper bond pattern of contrasting brick colour and stone ashlar dressings. Stone mullioned windows with small pane lead lattice casements. Bay windows with crenellated parapets to principle elevations. Decorative brick finials to changes in roof line and gables.

Helmingham hall, Suffolk

Helmingham hall, Suffolk

Wrest Park, Bedfordshire

Wrest Park is a Grade I listed country house with formal gardens located near Silsoe, Bedfordshire. The house was built in 1834 by Thomas de Grey, 2nd Earl de Grey, an amateur architect and the first president of the Royal Institute of British Architects. House in the French style of Louis XV with Rococo style estate room interiors on two floors with basement and attic. Park and gardens modified by Lancelot Capability Brown between 1758-60.

Lodges adjoining screen on Park Avenue, built in 1826 in the French Grand Manner style. Built from rendered brick with a slated mansard roof. Elevations with rusticated quoins and slight projecting central bay with cruciform casement window. Dormer windows to all elevations with either triangular pediment or a segmental arched roof. (Similar lodges now derelict north of house also).

Wrest Park, Bedfordshire

Wrest Park, Bedfordshire

Rockingham Castle

Royal castle and hunting lodge in Rockingham Forest north of Corby. Enclosure type castle built in the 11th century with limestone walls. Garrisoned by troops during the English Civil War and returned to being a civil residence during the latter 17th and 18th centuries. Today the private home of the Saunders-Watson family.

South Lodge along the A6003 Uppingham Road, Grade II listed, designed by Anthony Salvin, 1840. Tudoresque stone cottage with stone coped gables and triple chimney stack.

South Lodge, Rockingham

South Lodge, Rockingham

South Lodge, Rockingham

South Lodge, Rockingham

Litchborough Hall

Gate house north east of Litchborough Hall along the B4525 Banbury Road. Litchborough is about 4 miles north west of Towcester, Northamptonshire. The majority of old buildings in the village are built of local ironstone with welsh slate roofs and stone coped gable ends.

Litchborough Hall (Grade II listed) dates from the 17th century and remodelled and extended in 1838 by George Moore in Tudor style for William Grant. Gate house has similar features to main house with Tudor arched entrance surround, stone mullioned windows with hood moulds and lateral chimney stacks.
Litchborough Hall, Northamptonshire

Litchborough Hall, Northamptonshire